At Tobin Children’s School, we offer year-round Infant, Toddler, Preschool and Pre-Kindergarten programs for children ages 3 months to 4.9 years licensed by the Massachusetts Department of Early Education and Care (EEC) and accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC). Your child will receive a well-rounded curriculum in a warm, nurturing environment, guided by the philosophy that a child’s work IS their play. Your child will grow through play in various classroom experiences and hands-on learning activities guided by their own creativity. Here are some of the highlights:
Hours: Our program is open year-round, Monday-Friday from 7 am to 6 pm. Take a look at our Infant, Toddler, Preschool and Pre-Kindergarten pages for schedule options for your child.
Your child will receive developmentally appropriate instruction in the following areas to build a strong foundation for learning:
Children start to develop language and literacy skills at birth. Through daily interactions with nurturing, experienced teachers, your child will build these skills, preparing them for future success in school.
Starting with reading aloud, singing and action songs, and later moving on to more complex stories and activities, children learn letter recognition, making connections between letters and sounds, and building beginning decoding skills. We support each child as they develop the skills to become strong readers, writers, and lifelong learners.
Science & Math
Your child will learn about science by exploring and actively participating in it while in our program.
- Science: age-appropriate activities to foster interest and skills as your child explores the world and how things work.
- Math: young learners develop mathematical skills through activities, such as counting and sorting by shape and size and learning to classify items by type/characteristic.
At Tobin, we tap into young learners’ innate ability to absorb languages, introducing your child to:
- American Sign Language (ASL)
- Spanish exposure
Social Emotional Learning
Through daily interactions and nurturing relationships, your child develops important social and emotional skills that will help them succeed in life:
- Your infant learns to build trust and confidence, feel safe and secure, form relationships with their caregiver, and express several different clear emotions.
- Your toddler learns to explore and follow their interests, share and problem solve, build trust and self-confidence, and put names to emotions.
- Your preschooler learns to share toys, self-advocate when they have a problem, be flexible when needed, and show respect for themselves and others.
- Your Pre-Kindergartner learns to problem solve when peer conflicts arise, make independent decisions to facilitate their learning and develop the self-help and social skills necessary for future school readiness and success.
Throughout their daily interactions and with our caregivers and teachers, your child sees these key social emotional elements modeled in our program. Our philosophy is that learning social emotional skills is vital to your child’s development. We focus on building self-regulation skills, support in acquiring executive function, and recognizing kind and pro-social behavior.
At the Tobin Children’s School, the joys of music and the visual arts is shared with our Infants, Toddlers, Preschool and Pre-Kindergarten children.
Fine and Gross Motor Development / Physical Education
Your child will work on developing fine and gross motor skills in our infant and toddler programs. In our Preschool and Pre-Kindergarten classrooms, your child will learn about healthy eating, get ample opportunities to work on gross motor skills, and learn yoga and other strategies to help them develop positive lifelong habits.
- Outside Spaces and Ample Opportunity for Gross Motor Play
We are committed to building a true partnership with you and your family at the Tobin Children’s School. This includes our use of research based, evidence-focused assessment tools that allow us to plan curriculum and guide progress. Our qualified and professional teachers and administrators are here to guide each and every child in achieving all they can.